Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Looking for it...

I made a film in 2011, about the fishermen in the Konkan region of Maharashtra, India. I had a few months to finish the project, and I decided to make it primarily in the monsoon. Clearly an urban individual's look at the community, the film was shot over a week, in the small village called Veldur, near Ratnagiri. I have footage that can be worked to make a longer film out of this. However, I think that it is more important that I found a thread that needs to be followed. The thread of the Father - Son duo of Kishor Padal, and his son, Kunal (strange coincidence!), is something that can develop into a nice story of changing times and lifestyles in the community. Kunal says that he does not really want to be a fisherman, but gets excited everytime he sees a boat, he is already eager to get on one of the boats in the village and help out with the fishing. However, over the last few years, catches have seen a sharp drop, the sea has been plundered, and there is not a safe future in sight. Add to this different dimensions of loans, debt-ridden operations, and general lack of monetary safeguards. I am looking for people to fund this project. Please put me in touch with anyone who can. Even personal funding is good.

Please watch my film here:
  Daryache Raje (Kings of the Sea) from Kunal Deshpande on Vimeo.

If you like it and wish to put me in touch with someone who can fund it, or wish to fund a part of it yourself, please write to me at kunal.photography@gmail.com

Please spread the word and the film. Your help is appreciated. 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:47 AM

    epic!!! very well made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one Kunal ..well made documentary...hope u continue in ur endeavors and ur creativity gets recongised...

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. Your comments are valuable feedback for me...

Powered By Blogger