Thursday, May 29, 2008

There are some days in your life when you don't want to do anything. Nothing at all. No matter who you are, what you do, where you are or anything. You just want to be at home, and relax, doing nothing, absolutely nothing. When one goes through such times, it is very hard to actually be at home, doing nothing. One at least takes up a book to read.

For me, whenever this happens, I happen to read a book which, by coincidence, moves me from the inside. In the same way, I had decided to be at home because my dad had asked me to be at home for the day. I guess he was not happy with the fact that I used to be out of the house for most of the day, whiling away my time doing nothing. I happened to pick up a book titled " A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. I had read his first book, titled "The Kite Runner", which had been an amazing book to read. So I was sure that this book would definitely be above average. I took up this book yesterday morning, and by midnight yesterday, I was through the book. It is an amazing tale of average people living in Afghanistan during the uprising, and then the Russian invasion through to the American invasion of Afghanistan. An amazing book to read. It is a kind of a book that compels you to think about how fortunate you are, if you live in a country free of such strife and pain.
True that there is pain in every country in the world, however we, after thinking a bit, come to realize that there are very few countries in this world whose people are affected so harshly by the greed of a certain kind of men. Those who are worse than warlords, worse than a man who batters his wife everyday. The kind of men not worth calling men in the first place. Those who kill millions in their hunger for wealth and domination, power, fame, a place in history and what not. This book compels us to become a mother, a father, a son and a daughter all at the same time. I hope one day comes, when we would be told that this book is to be a movie. It would be one of the all time classics for me. Provided it is well made, keeping the essence of the book in mind.

A Must-Read....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. Your comments are valuable feedback for me...

Powered By Blogger